BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Tuesday, August 11, 2009

RIP Remillard =(


We got back a few minutes ago from Acacia to say our final goodbyes to the cat. He had not been doing well for the last week or two, so we took him into the vet last week. He had a mild fever, and just went downhill with barely eating to only drinking a little bit of water. There were some tests done, and further testing needed to be done to make a clear diagnosis as to why the kitty has been so sick. Unfortunately the further testing wouild take SEVERAL WEEKS, and we did not want to see the kitty suffer anymore - when we took him into Acacia today, his adrenaline was running wild, and at this point, he was pretty much skin and bones. The Dr. came in and gave him a sedative and gave it ten minutes to work its way into Remi's system, during which time he spit some of it up. Then when the Dr. came in and did the final euthanization, Remi put up a very mild fight, it did not take very long for him to be gone, it was hard watching all of this, even when the Dr. shaved one of his legs a little bit. I had a hard time leaving the clinic I did not want to stop petting even though he was listless. What was suspected was Feline Infectious Paritinitis; the cat had been slightly anemic throughout his battle as well. From what I learned of FIP, there is no cure and almost a 100% mortality rate. It is contracted among other cats, it's very contagious. We are going to contact the lady we adopted him from just to give her a cautionary. There is a vaccine for FIP but there's no guarantee that it will be very successful. We may get another cat in the future, right now I just want to grieve for awhile. :( I took a couple of pictures with John and the cat last night, I hadn't even done that, I'm glad we got a few pictures of him, John got some with me, but we did not get to get any with both of us and the kitty. To this date we had him exactly four weeks ant the last two were the hardest. :(

2 comments:

  1. Oh, Diane. I am so very, very sorry for your loss. I can't believe this happened to poor Remy! I know how awful it is to have to put an animal down, and I'm so very sorry you had to go through that. You did the right thing; he was suffering. I'm glad you and John got to know him and love him, if only for a short time. I'm sure you will always have a special place in your heart for him. Take care; take time to grieve. I'm thinking about you guys, and Remy, too. >^..^<

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow, diane. i am so sorry to hear about remillard :(

    ReplyDelete